Frequently Asked Questions?

Most frequently asked questions

  • What do I do if my Veterans Railcard is stolen?

    If your Veterans Railcard has been stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement online.

    To apply for a replacement, please click 'Manage my Railcard' to log in to your account. Once logged in, click 'Replace stolen card' and follow the instructions on the screen. You will need to quote your crime reference number or document given to you by the police to receive a free replacement.

    Until you have your replacement Veterans Railcard, we’re sorry but you will have to pay the full fare. The lost discount is not refundable.

  • What do I do if my Veterans Railcard is lost or damaged?

    You will need to get a replacement online. You can only apply for a replacement Veterans Railcard 5 days after the date of original purchase.

    To apply for a replacement , please click 'Manage my Railcard' to log in to your account. Once logged in, click 'Replace lost/damage card for £10' and follow the instructions on screen. You will have to pay a £10 administration fee if your Veterans Railcard was lost or damaged.

  • Can I claim a refund if I don't use my Railcard?

    No. Unfortunately, once a Railcard has been issued it is non-refundable.

  • What happens if I don't have my Railcard with me and I have to buy a new ticket or pay a Penalty Fare?

    If you are travelling by train on a ticket with a Railcard discount, you must travel with your valid Railcard. If you forget your phone or don't have your Railcard you will either be required to buy a new ticket or you may on certain services be liable for a Penalty Fare. However, a train company will normally allow you to claim back this extra expense on the first occasion in each year where this happens.

    Each train company will have their own process for doing this. You will need to provide proof of your Railcard and either the original and additional tickets that you have purchased, or if you have not yet paid, details of the notice to pay or notice of Penalty Fare. Where you have already paid for additional tickets you should contact the relevant train company’s customer services department; in the case of a notice to pay or notice of Penalty Fare, you should follow the instructions included on how to challenge or appeal the charge.

Can't find an answer? 

If the answer to your question is not in the above or you are having problems purchasing your Railcard, you can contact us

Train Companies

If you have any questions concerning rail ticket prices or journey planning National Rail Enquiries will be happy to help you.

If you have any comments about a specific rail journey please contact the train company that provides the service. To find their contact details see the list of Train Operating Companies